Saturday, December 6, 2008

An average day in the jungle

as we have all been focused on fun for the last few weeks, our daily lives have gone to the back burner. But, just to keep you all updated on what really happens here in the rain forest, I will outline an average day, brief enough for even Cory to understand. Let's take Wednesdays as an example:

-- 7:30: I wake with a start, seeing the light coming through the window and wondering if I have over slept. I take a quick look at my Ipod, my only clock, and see that I have little time to spare.
I run down to the kitchen and grab one of the clean plastic bottles on the counter, making as brief as possible the conversation with Muffi, the before mentioned house mate, who is already up, binoculars in hand, documenting the morning's variety of toucans and parrots and hawks that care to make an appearance.

7:45-I start the 20 minute walk to the neighboring farm to pick up the milk for the day. I enjoy this walk tremendously, as it gives me time not only to wake up, but to think. I arrive shortly after 8 am to find entire family awake and umm.. around. Particularly Marcos, the young (20-25?? years old) farmer who also cuts grass and drives a cab etc... he is standing in the window of the house with his new baby, that I had yet to meet. His mother-in-law having run out to fill my my bottle with milk, I had no choice but to give some sort of attention to the baby. "how many days old is he?" I ask, regretting it the second the words come out of my mouth, remembering that it is Koreans, not Brazilians that calculate their baby's age in days, instead of months. He smiled, "2 months." "ohh, Ja"??? was my clumsy, embarrassed, response .. "he's beautiful" still unsure whether or not I thought he was. I quickly turned my attention and conversation to the puppy that had been biting my ankles, until the mother- in-law returned with my milk. I bid adieu, wishing that at least one day would pass with out an awkward encounter with Marcos, and made my way back to my farm.
-8:30- I return to the kitchen and pour the milk into a pan on the stove, asking Muffi, who was still watching birds, to watch the milk as well, as I had little time to get ready for the interview I had scheduled to translate for Jess at 9:30 in town.
9:15- Marcelo came to pick Jess and I up for the interview with the secretary of agriculture. I come out of the interview more than two hours later, knowing more than I even thought possible about eucalyptus trees and small farming.
Some time-- the bus never showed to take us back home, so we had no choice but to start walking and hope for a ride on the way, otherwise known as hitchhiking. No one came. So, we walked the 2 and a half hours home, arriving sometime after 2.
Some time after 2-- Jess and I feasted on the left overs from the lunch that we missed and I returned to my computer in the hopes of making some sort of work type progress. oh and g-chatting with all of you all.
4:00-- I look behind me to see Jess reading a book on the couch/bed. I see that she is 7/8 of the way through a lengthy book she had started only a day or 2 before. I fill with envy and guilt, as I think of the 6 or 7 half-read books I have lying around in my house, my 8-track mind unable to focus on a single one. I stop what I'm doing and spend the rest of the day reading one and only one book.


Spagett! said...

from now on, i am boycotting your posts. i will not read them. brazil sucks.

JNB said...

Okay, I am assuming by the poster name and the fact that you're in Brazil this is Kristin, if I'm wrong it proves that I should not pursue a career as a private detective...

Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your day. I was filled with envy when I read you go tot meet with the Sec. of Agri., every Agricultural Economic majors dream :)

I can't wait to catch up and read a few more of your posts in days to come-

Werd said...


Keep your filthy lifestyle off my blog, hussy!